Neck Pain Treatment with our Springfield Chiropractor
The neck is very susceptible both to injuries and to the development of degenerative joint disease (DJD). It is estimated that about 12% of adult women and 9% of adult males suffer from neck pain and that 45% of workers today are affected by neck pain. There are many different types of neck pain from many common causes which can all be helped by chiropractic care.
Different Types of Neck Pain
- DJD - Normal aging and the force of gravity causes degeneration of the cartilage in the spinal joints and the formation of bone spurs. This leads to decreased range of motion of the neck and pain with motion.
- Whiplash - Whiplash usually results from a motor vehicle accident in which the impact of a collision from behind propels the neck forward which then causes a rebound effect backward. This force can cause damage to the muscles and ligaments in the neck and injury to the intervertebral joints, intervertebral discs and nerve roots with resultant severe pain in the neck.
- Herniated Disc - A herniated disc occurs when the central portion of the intervertebral disc ruptures out which compress nerve roots and can compress the spinal cord.
- Cervical Stenosis - Cervical stenosis occurs usually because of DJD which causes a narrowing of the cervical spinal canal in the neck which causes compression of the spinal nerves that pass through it.
Common Causes of Neck Pain
- Poor Posture - Poor posture causes an increased strain on the neck with strains neck muscles and ligaments
- Text Neck - Constant Texting can lead to “text neck” which is caused by the tilting down of the neck when texting on a device. This causes excess strain the muscles and ligaments of the neck.
- Whiplash Injuries and Automobile Accidents - Whiplash injuries which commonly occur from MVA’s commonly lead to acute and often chronic neck pain.
How to Prevent Neck Pain
- A new pillow can help keep the cervical spine in a neutral position when sleeping to help decrease neck pain.
- Keeping Your Computer Monitor at Eye Level Can Help Avoid Neck Strain.
- Raising your phone when texting helps take strain off the neck.
- Maintaining good posture helps to avoid leaning forward which causes neck strain.
Call Today for an Appointment for Neck Pain Treatment
Our Springfield Chiropractor can adjust the cervical spine through cervical adjustment to increase mobility and restore normal range of motion. Other available treatments include spinal decompression and corrective exercises.
Call (541) 726-6521 today for an appointment. Our clinic serving Lane County is located at 112 N 49th at the corner of 49th and Main Springfield, OR 97477.